The Board of Directors of Choral Club of San Diego is very pleased to be able to welcome Dr. Nina Gilbert. Dr Gilbert will be joining CCSD for the spring season 2020 as Interim Music Director.
Dr. Gilbert’s background ranges from Kenya, where she translated Schubert’s Mass in G into Swahili as a Peace Corps Volunteer, to Carnegie Hall, where she served as associate director of the New York Choral Society.
Gilbert holds degrees from Stanford, Indiana, and Princeton Universities. She has taught at Hamilton, Ferrum, Wabash, and Lafayette Colleges, and University of California at Irvine, as well as summer sessions at the Hartt School (U. of Hartford, Connecticut) and Westminster Choir College (Rider University, New Jersey). She has about twenty-five choral arrangements and editions in print, and has served as Associate Editor of the Choral Journal
She has offered NPR commentaries, appeared on liberal and conservative talk radio as an expert on The Star-Spangled Banner, and lectured on the history and science of chocolate. Nina teaches piano and voice, directs musical theater, and works as a conductor,
Choral Club of San Diego is seeking an Assistant Music Director to help with choir rehearsals and conducting, with some opportunity for accompaniment. The AMD will assume duties as directed by the choir’s Music Director.
The AMD will be responsible for:
- Attending ALL Tuesday evening rehearsals throughout the season (Sept-Nov.)
- Assisting in breakout section rehearsals (SSA) at the direction of the MD
- Assisting with choir warm ups/standard vocal exercises
- Conducting at approximately twelve (12) performances during season (Nov. & Dec.) [MD is primary accompanist.]
- Proficiency with performance piano
- Excellent music sight-reading skills
- Availability for weekly rehearsals, 6:30pm-9:00pm Tuesday evenings, August 26, 2014-November 16, 2014. Rehearsals are held in Point Loma area.
- Availability for ALL performances (approx. 12) evenings and weekends, November 20, 2014-December 20, 2014. Performances are held at locations throughout San Diego County.
- Willingness to learn repertoire (approx 20 arrangements) and contribute expertise to CCSD singers
- Willingness to perform in public
This is an internship position offering a season stipend up to $400, depending on experience.
Please send email query/cover letter with attached resume using subject line ASSISTANT MUSIC DIRECTOR INTERNSHIP to email@example.com.
We are thrilled to be able to introduce Choral Club of San Diego’s new interim Music Director, Kevin Cavanaugh.
Current and past members know Kevin well from his years as our excellent accompanist. He brings many years of experience in contemporary music performance to the organization. Kevin will officially assume his duties as Interim Music Director August 1, 2014. He will also participate in music selection for the new season in July.
The Board of Directors would like to thank outgoing Music Director Claudia Allen for her past services to CCSD. We all recognize her dedication to CCSD and are grateful for her many contributions.